Posted on: 16 July 2017
If you recently purchased an older home, there may be problems with the wiring that you don't know about. Unfortunately, electrical problems can be difficult to identify, especially if the issue involves the internal wiring. Luckily, there are some signs you can look for that will help you identify those potential problems. If you're concerned about the wiring in your older home, here are four signs you should be on the lookout for:
When the wiring is going out on a house, it often causes the lights to flicker. That's because the wiring is unable to maintain a proper current throughout the house. When that happens, you'll begin to notice that your lights flicker, especially when turning another electrical device on. Or when you walk through a certain area of your home. If your lights are flickering off and on, or lights go out when you walk through one particular area of your home, it's time to have the wiring inspected.
Power surges can be a real problem in older homes, especially when it comes to the wiring. One big surge can blow out your entire electrical system. Surges occur when too much electricity flows through the wiring at one time. That can happen naturally during lightning storms. However, those surges can also occur in older homes, especially when you're trying to power newer technology through outdated wiring. If you're experiencing frequent power surges, you need to have your wiring inspected by an electrician as soon as possible.
Electric Bill Skyrocketing
Wiring problems can cause your electric bills to skyrocket, especially when powering multiple lights or electronic devices. That's because the wiring isn't strong enough to maintain constant power, which means it has to boost output to keep up with your demand. As a result, the wiring overheats, and your electric bill escalates. If you're noticing that your electric bill is continuing to rise, but you're not doing anything different in your house, it's time to have the wiring looked at.
Wiring is Outdated
The electrical wiring inside a home is not designed to last forever. This is particularly true of older homes. Most older homes have wiring that has become outdated. If the previous owners did not have the house rewired, you probably have the original wiring inside the walls of your home. Unfortunately, that could be an accident waiting to happen. If you've got the original wiring in your older home, you need to talk to your electrician about rewiring.
Contact a company like Shocking Difference LLC for more information and assistance.Share