Posted on: 17 July 2017
If you're like most adults, you're probably already familiar with the basics of electrical safety. For instance, you know better than to use an electrical appliance such as a hairdryer or electric toothbrush while soaking in the bathtub, and if you've got small children in the home, you've undoubtedly placed safety covers on your electrical outlets. Many busy parents, however, forget to tell their older children how to be safe around electricity. The following are just three of the many things that your kids need to know about electrical safety in the home.
Never Stick a Fork in the Toaster
Toasters are one of the first kitchen appliances that parents feel safe allowing their children to use on their own. Most kids can safely operate a toaster at the age of six or seven. However, parents sometimes fail to tell their children how to proceed if a toaster waffle, Pop Tart, English muffin, piece of bread, or any other food item gets stuck in the toaster, and many children might naturally reach for a fork in order to retrieve the item. However, the metal may act as a electrical conductor.
Don't Use Water to Put Out an Electrical Fire
Most children know that water is commonly used to put out fires, but they may not yet be aware that all fires are not the same. For instance, attempting to put out an electrical fire by throwing water on it may result in electrocution. Even if the original source of the fire is not electrical, there is still the potential for danger if the fire is near electrical appliances. Your kids should know to find an adult immediately in the event that any type of fire breaks out and that they shouldn't try to put it out on their own.
Report Anything Unusual to an Adult
Young children can also be taught to report unusual circumstances to an adult. For instance, if the cord on the toaster is frayed, they should let you know so that it can be replaced or repaired before it causes damage or injury. Your children should also let you know if they find hot spots in the walls — this can indicate faulty wiring that could spark a fire — scorch marks, or other types of discoloration around electrical outlets that might indicate that issues with the wiring.
Please don't hesitate to contact your local electrician for more information on teaching your kids what they need to know about electrical safety in the home, or check out websites like http://www.jfelectricalcontractors.com to learn more.Share